FALL 2022 ORIENTATION
FOR NEWLY ACCEPTED STUDENTS
IN THE SPRING 2023 RN DEGREE PROGRAM
*** Changes and Updates to ALL links and information here are ON-GOING ***
and will be posted and final on Orientation Day
Congratulations on your conditional acceptance to Virginia Peninsula Community College's Spring 2023 RN Degree Program at the Historic Triangle Campus with classes that begin on January 9th. To fulfill admissions requirements, your attendance at the following Nursing Orientation session is mandatory:
DATE: Monday, November 7, 2022
TIME: 9:00am to 12:00pm
PLACE: Hampton III (525 Butler Farm Road, Hampton) in Room 734 A/B
Please print these instructions for your reference at Orientation. [Nursing Admissions & Orientation Information].
Please submit all requirements in separate PDF files to PSAHHS@vpcc.edu; do not send several requirements combined into one PDF unless directed to do so. Do not separate multiple pages of a document into separate PDF files.
*** PROGRAM CHANGE FORM ***
To change your program of study to A.A.S. Degree Nursing for Spring 2023, please fill in your personal info at the top, add your current program of study in the first box (Health Science, Social Science, etc.) and sign/date the bottom of the form [Program Change Form]. This form will be collected at Orientation, so please be sure to bring it with you.
1. Complete a drug screen and background check through CastleBranch. You must register by Tuesday, November 8, 2022, and submit your sample to Lab Corp. by Friday, November 11, 2022. The package code and instructions for Registration are provided in this flyer [CastleBranch Directions]. The nursing office will receive your report; no need to submit a copy. You will also register for the Requirements Tracker for all your physical information and documents.
2. Order uniforms - Uniforms and equipment can now be purchased through the Bookstore where financial aid may be used, or scrubs can be purchased from any supplier.
Student nursing uniforms purchased through the Bookstore include:
- Eggplant scrub tops and bottoms (at least 2 sets).
- White lab coat (Finger-tip length or shorter).
- Patch with school emblem that you must secure on the left sleeve (shoulder) of each scrub top.
- 2 Name Tags.
Students electing to purchase uniforms from another supplier, must purchase their should patches and name tags through the Virginia Peninsula Community College Bookstore. All other uniform garments must include the following:
- At least 2 pair of Eggplant scrub bottoms/pants (not joggers, no elastic at the ankles) with pockets
- At least 2 Eggplant scrub tops, crew or v-neck with pockets
- White lab coat (Finger-tip length or shorter)
- Patch and name tags must be purchased through the Bookstore
Cost and order deadline is Friday, December 16, 2023. Please refer to uniform ordering information in [Nursing Uniform Info at the Bookstore] and use this order form [Nursing Uniform Bookstore Order Form]. Please contact the Bookstore for order information at Virginia Peninsula Community College - Hampton Campus Apparel, Merchandise, & Gifts (bkstr.com) or 757-825-2864 (Hampton) and 757-258-6847 (HT).
Clinical Equipment Includes: Stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, watch with second-hand capability, pen light, hemostat, and bandage scissors -- These items can be purchased anywhere or online.
Your complete uniform and clinical equipment must be ready for your first lab or clinical day, so please order early to ensure delivery by January 9 (1st day of spring classes).
3. Provide a copy of your AHA BLS Certification for Healthcare Providers. BLS for Healthcare Provider certification MUST be through American Heart Association or through one of their approved agencies only. (Red Cross certification is not accepted.) Upload both sides of your signed certification card or your eCard to CastleBranch AND scan a copy to PSAHHS@vpcc.edu by FRIDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2022
4. Review the nursing program policies in the Nursing Student Handbook [Nursing Student Handbook] and the Board of Nursing Code of Virginia [Code of Virginia]. The handbook is being revised and will be posted before classes begin in January. Please complete, sign, save in one PDF fil all forms found in the FA22 Nursing Forms Packet
The SP23 Nursing Forms Packet [SP23 Nursing Forms Packet] includes the following forms. Please be sure to complete and sign ALL of the forms and save to a single PDF file. Please email the PDF file to PSAHHS@vpcc.edu by Friday, December 16th.
- Nursing Policy Manual Affirmation
- Student Information Form
- Social Media Policy Acknowledgement
- Photo/Video/Digital Media Release Form
- Simulation Lab Latex Response Plan
- Off Campus Use of Equipment
- Approval to Use Student Assignments
- Clinical & Field Facility/Site/Agency Restriction Self-Disclosure
- Student Release of Information for Clinical (2 pages - Leave Business Partner Info blank & print/sign in 2 places on Page 2)
- Release and Waiver of Liability
- HIPAA/Medical Confidentiality Policy Acknowledgement
- Influenza Vaccination Attestation
- Communicable Disease Statement
- COVID-19 Acknowledgement of Risk
5. Clinical Forms & Information: Please review the Guidelines for Clinical Dress [Guidelines for Clinical Dress] and the Clinical section in the Nursing Student Policy Manuel. Please also review the Essential Functions and Technical Standards for clinical. [Essential Functions & Technical Standards].
RN Students - Please complete the RHS clinical application forms [RHS Clinical Application] for your first clinical rotation as follows:
Page 1 - Please complete your personal info at the top, including the last 4 digits of your SSN and any RHS employment information (list dates and facility if applicable). Include Emergency Contact info under "School" section. Leave "Clinical Learning Experience" section blank and add your name at the bottom.
Page 2 - In the Tuberculosis section, please check the correct TB test you received, either a Quantiferon test or Mantoux Test (PPD). Please print/sign and date at the bottom.
Page 3 - Please check any Tuberculosis systems in the survey at the top and initial by each line item, and print/sign and date at the bottom and be sure to include the last 4 digits of your SSN.
Page 4 - Please print/sign and date the confidentiality agreement and be sure to include the last 4 digits of your SSN.
Page 5 - Please print/sign and date the Riverside COVID-19 Affiliation Participation Notice.
These forms will be collected at Orientation, so please be sure to bring it with you on Monday, November 7, 2022.
***PN-RN students DO NOT Need to Complete the RHS Application at this time***
6. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Please provide documentation and complete the forms in the links below to submit the following physical requirements:
- Physical exam [Health History, Physical Exam & Immunizations] - Page 4 is not official documentation for the requirements below; it is a good checklist to ensure you have completed each requirement and have requested documentation from your doctor's office or provider. Do NOT submit this page as official documentation of MMR, Varicella, HepB or Tdap requirements; it will be REJECTED.
- Please provide/upload separate documentation of your Immunization History from your patient record or doctor's office for the following:
- 2 MMR vaccines or positive titer with immunity ranges documented
- 2 Varicella vaccines or positive titer with immunity ranges documented (history of chicken pox is not sufficient). [CDC Varicella Information]
- 3 HepB vaccines, positive titer with immunity ranges documented, or sign the HepB declination waiver [HepB Declination Waiver]. HepB is the only requirement that can be waived. [CDC HepB Information] Please complete the HepB waiver if the 3-shot series is in progress and will not be completed before the start of the program.
Heplisav (HepB-CpG) 2-vaccine series - This vaccine requires a positive titer (anti-HBs ≥10 mIU/ml) to prove immunity.
- Current TDap (expires after 10 years)
Upload all the 4-page Health/Physical Exam forms along with separate documents for MMR, Varicella, HepB and Tdap documentation to CastleBranch ONLY by Friday, December 16, 2022 (PN-RN Students by _______________). - DO NOT send these to PSAHHS@vpcc.edu
- TB Requirements:
- Negative IGRA test results from either (1) QuantifFERON®-TB Gold In-Tube test (GFT-GIT) or (2) T-SPOT®B test (T-Spot). Please also complete TB Survey at the top of the VPCC PPD form.
- Mantoux Tuberculin Skin Tests (TST)/2-Step PPD -- Complete the survey portion at the top. Your provider will complete the middle box for Step 1. Then return to your provider 2 weeks later to complete Step 2. Your provider will need to complete both boxes of the VPCC form [VPCC PPD Form]
- If you have a positive TST/PPD or IGRA, documentation of a negative chest x-ray after the positive TST is required along with your positive results and the completed survey at the top of the VPCC PPD Form.
Upload all TB documentation to CastleBranch AND email to PSAHHS@vpcc.edu by Friday, December 16, 2022. (PN-RN Students by _________________)
- 2022-23 Flu Shot:
- RN Students - 2022-23 flu shot documentation using the College's flu form [VPCC Flu Form] is to be completed and signed by your provider. Please complete the survey questions at the top, print/sign, and date. If additional flu forms are returned to you by your provider, please include these with your VPCC flu shot form.
- PN-RN Students - A 2022-23 flu shot is required for your SU23 NSG200 clinical day. [VPCC Flu Consent Form] Please complete the VPCC flu form.
- If you have a medical exemption for the flu shot, a letter from your doctor will be required. Please complete the RHS Vaccine Exemption Form. [RHS Vaccine Exemption Form].
Upload all flu shot documentation to CastleBranch AND email to PSAHHS@vpcc.edu by Friday, December 16, 2022. (PN-RN Students by _________________)
- COVID-19 Vaccinations:
- COVID vaccinations are required by our clinical sites. All students attending clinical rotations will need to complete COVID vaccination series and boosters as necessary in order to attend clinical. This requirement cannot be declined, and only approved medical or religious exemptions will be accepted. A medical exemption form can be obtained through your medical provider. Please visit 12VAC5-110-80. Exemptions from immunization requirements. (virginia.gov) for more information on a religious exemption. If you have a medical exemption for the COVID shots, please complete the RHS Vaccine Exemption Form [RHS Vaccine Exemption Form]. A medical exemption will require documentation from your doctor; please contact the Nursing Office at 757-825-2808 for more information and direction for additional forms.
Please submit a PDF of your COVID vaccination card or your approved exemption forms to CastleBranch AND email to PSAHHS@vpcc.edu by Friday, December 16, 2022. (PN-RN Students by ________________)
Documentation for ALL physical requirements is due by:
PN-RNs - _____________________
RNs - FRIDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2022
7. Tuition for spring 2022 RN program is due by Friday, December 16, 2022.
Tuition for summer 2023 PN-RN program is due by Friday, April 28, 2023.
Please review the list of program expenses and the list of nursing program credits and curriculum. [Program Expenses], [RN Credits and Curriculum], and [PN-RN Bridge Classes Credits and Curriculum]
8. Textbooks - The nursing textbook bundle package MUST BE purchased from the VPCC Bookstore as a bundle package using ISBN #9780443147289. [SP23 1st Semester Package Flyer] This package totals approximately $1,200 and includes all e-books and on-line resources. Please contact Financial Aid Office and the Bookstore for additional textbook information. Package flyer will be posted as soon as it becomes available.
On-Line Ordering Instructions from the Bookstore: [On-Line Ordering Instructions]
Phone: 757-825-2864 in Hampton and 757-258-6547 at HT in Williamsburg
Financial Aid: https://www.vpcc.edu/pay/aid or 855-877-3945
There is also an additional (optional) textbook package that includes paper textbooks instead of e-books and costs approximately $720. Please use ISBN #9780443147319 if you would like additional hard copies of the textbooks. This option is in addition to the book package listed above and does not include the on-line resources. [SP23 1st Hard-Copy Optional Package Flyer]
If you would like to purchase only one or two textbooks instead of the entire package, Individual ISBN numbers for hard-copy textbooks are provided here. A list of individual ISBN's for separate purchase will be posted here soon. [SP23 ISBN's for Individual Textbooks]
ISBN #9780443147289 for the 1st semester book package MUST BE PURCHASED in the Bookstore even if the optional package (ISBN #9780443147319) is not purchased.
PN-RN students must purchase both 1st and 2nd semester book packages before Summer 2023 classes begin. PN-RN students will use ISBN #________________ and #____________________. Both book packages will total approximately $1,700.
9. Student Nurses' Association Welcome Information [SNA Flyer].
10. Concurrent and Traditional BSN Programs at ODU - The concurrent program allows students enrolled in VPCC's RN program to take on-line courses at ODU toward their BSN at the same time. After VPCC
graduation and program completion, you are eligible to take NCLEX, and then a few months and final ODU project later, a BSN from ODU is earned. This is an aggressive educational track, so it is highly recommended that students do not take on the extra work required by this double major until the 2nd semester at VPCC; adjust to the nursing course/workload before you begin the concurrent program.
If you prefer a traditional track for your BSN, ODU also offers an RN to BSN program that starts after VPCC's program is complete. It is a 2-year post-licensure curriculum. Please review the information:
a. Concurrent Program
Please contact Ms. Jacquelyn Nielsen at JBNielse@ODU.edu for more direction and information on ODU's concurrent or traditional BSN program.
Remember to send each of the requirements in separate PDF files to PSAHHS@vpcc.edu AND upload to CastleBranch (as necessary for applicable requirements) by FRIDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2022.
Only forms in the SP23 Nursing Forms Packet and the 5 pages of the RHS Clinical Applications can be combined and sent in one PDF File. All other forms should be saved to separate PDF files.
ONLY THE SP23 NURSING FORMS IN #8 CAN BE COMBINED AND SENT IN ONE PDF FILE.
ALL OTHER FORMS SHOULD BE SAVED TO SEPARATE PDF FILES.
[Orientation Power Points] are provided for your reference.