FALL 2023 ORIENTATION and ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS
FOR NEWLY ACCEPTED STUDENTS
IN THE SPRING 2024 RN DEGREE PROGRAM
*** Changes and Updates to ALL links and information here are ON-GOING ***
and will be posted and final on Orientation Day
Congratulations on your conditional acceptance to Virginia Peninsula Community College's Spring 2024 RN Degree Program at the Hampton Campus with classes that begin on January 16th. To fulfill admissions requirements, your attendance at the following Nursing Orientation session is mandatory:
DATE: Tuesday, November 7, 2023
TIME: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm (Please bring a lunch).
PLACE: Hampton III (525 Butler Farm Road, Hampton) in Room 734 A/B
Please follow instructions for submitting documentation of each requirement; forms will be sent to PSAHHS@vpcc.edu and physical requirements documents will be uploaded to CastleBranch. Please submit all requirements in separate PDF files; do not send several requirements combined into one PDF unless directed to do so. Do not separate multiple pages of a document into separate PDF files.
*** PROGRAM CHANGE FORM ***
To change your program of study to A.A.S. Degree Nursing for Spring 2024, please complete and BRING the Program Change Form to Orientation on November 7th. [ Program Change Form ]
1. Complete a drug screen and background check through CastleBranch. You must register AFTER ORIENTATION between November 7th and November 8th and submit your sample to Lab Corp. by November 15th. DO NOT REGISTER IN CASTLEBRANCH BEFORE ORIENTATION; please wait for instructions and information. Due dates and more information for the package code and instructions for Registration are provided in this flyer [ CastleBranch Directions ]. The nursing office will receive your report; no need to submit a copy. You will also register for the Requirements Tracker for all your physical information and documents.
2. Order uniforms- Uniforms and equipment can be purchased through the bookstore where financial aid may be used. Student nursing uniforms purchased through the bookstore include:
- Eggplant scrub tops and bottoms (at least 2 sets).
- White lab coat with pockets (Finger-tip length or shorter).
- 2 Patches with school emblem that you must secure on the left sleeve (shoulder) of each scrub top.
- 2 Name Tags.
Students electing to purchase uniforms from another supplier, MUST purchase the emblem patches and name tags through the Virginia Peninsula Community College Bookstore. All other uniform garments must include the following:
- At least 2 pair of Eggplant scrub bottoms/pants (not joggers, no elastic at the ankles) with pockets.
- At least 2 Eggplant scrub tops, crew or v-neck with pockets.
- White lab coat (Finger-tip length or shorter, not hip-length or shorter) with pockets.
Cost and order deadline is _____________________, 2023. Please refer to uniform ordering information in [ Nursing Uniform Info at the Bookstore ] and use this order form [ Nursing Uniform Bookstore Order Form ]. Please contact the Bookstore for order information at Virginia Peninsula Community College - Hampton Campus Apparel, Merchandise, & Gifts (bkstr.com) or 757-825-2864 (Hampton) and 757-258-6847 (HT).
Clinical Equipment Includes: Stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, watch with second-hand capability, pen light, hemostat, and bandage scissors. These items can be purchased anywhere or online.
Your complete uniform and clinical equipment must be ready for your first lab or clinical day, so please order early to ensure delivery by January 16th (1st day of fall classes).
3. Provide a copy of your AHA BLS Certification for Healthcare Providers. BLS for Healthcare Provider certification MUST be through American Heart Association or through one of their approved agencies only. (Red Cross certification is not accepted.) Upload both sides of your signed certification card or your eCard to CastleBranch by DECEMBER 18, 2023.
The Workforce Development Office will be offering AHA BLS classes in November and December here at VPCC. Please contact 757-825-4070 or visit https://vpcc.augusoft.net/index.cfm?method=ClassListing.ClassListingDisplay&int_category_id=2&int_sub_category_id=12&int_catalog_id= for schedule information and to register for a class.
4. Review the nursing program policies in the Nursing Student Handbook [ Nursing Student Handbook ] and the Board of Nursing Code of Virginia [ Code of Virginia ]. Please print and bring the BLANK Code of Virginia Form with you to Orientation; it will be completed and witnessed at that time. The Nursing Student Handbook Acknowledgement form will be signed and witnessed on the first day of classes in January.
The SP24 Nursing Forms Packet [ SP24 Nursing Forms Packet ] includes the following forms. Please be sure to complete and sign ALL of the forms and save to a single PDF file. Please email the PDF file to PSAHHS@vpcc.edu by MONDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2023.
- Student Information Form
- Social Media Policy Acknowledgement
- Photo/Video/Digital Media Release Form
- Simulation Lab Latex Response Plan
- Off Campus Use of Equipment
- Approval to Use Student Assignments
- Clinical & Field Facility/Site/Agency Restriction Self-Disclosure
- Student Release of Information for Clinical
- Release and Waiver of Liability
- HIPAA/Medical Confidentiality Policy Acknowledgement
- Influenza Vaccination Attestation
- Communicable Disease Statement
- COVID-19 Acknowledgement of Risk
These will be used again as master forms for future clinical rotations so dates will be added each term.
Page 1 - Please complete your personal info at the top, including the last 4 digits of your SSN and any RHS employment information (list dates and facility if applicable). Include Emergency Contact info under "School" section. Leave "Clinical Learning Experience" section blank and add your name at the bottom.
Page 2 - In the Tuberculosis section, please check the correct TB test you received, either a Quantiferon test or Mantoux Test (PPD). Please print/sign at the bottom.
Page 3 - Please check any Tuberculosis symptoms in the survey at the top and initial by each line item, and print/sign at the middle and bottom. Be sure to include the last 4 digits of your SSN.
Page 4 - Disregard confidentiality agreement; this is now an electronic form and process and will be completed separately.
Page 5 - Please print/sign the Riverside COVID-19 Affiliation Participation Notice.
These forms will be reviewed and collected at Orientation, so please complete, sign and bring all pages with you on Tuesday, November 7th.
Please review the Essential Functions/Technical Standards description for more information on the clinical skills that are required for A.D.N. licensure. [ Essential Functions Information ]
6. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Please provide documentation and complete the forms in the links below to submit the following physical requirements:
- Physical exam [ Health History, Physical Exam & Immunizations ] - Page 4 is not official documentation for the requirements below; it is a good checklist to ensure you have completed each requirement and have requested documentation from your doctor's office or provider. Do NOT submit Page 4 separately as official documentation of MMR, Varicella, HepB or Tdap requirements; it will be REJECTED. Page 4 is part of the exam forms packet only.
- Please provide/upload separate documentation of your Immunization History from your patient record or doctor's office for the following:
- 2 MMR vaccines or positive titer with documented immunity ranges.
- 2 Varicella vaccines or positive titer with documented immunity ranges (history of chicken pox is not sufficient). [ CDC Varicella Information ]
- 3 HepB vaccines, positive titer with immunity ranges documented, or sign the HepB declination waiver [ HepB Declination Waiver ]. HepB is the only requirement that can be waived. [ CDC HepB Information ] Please complete the HepB waiver if the 3-shot series is in progress and will not be completed before the start of the program.
Heplisav (HepB-CpG) 2-vaccine series - This vaccine requires a positive titer (anti-HBs ≥10 mIU/ml) to prove immunity.
- Current TDap (expires after 10 years)
- TB Requirements:
- Negative IGRA test results from either (1) QuantifFERON ®-TB Gold In-Tube test (GFT-GIT) or (2) T-SPOT ® Btest (T-Spot). Please also complete TB Survey at the top of the VPCC PPD form.
- Mantoux Tuberculin Skin Tests (TST)/2-Step PPD -- Complete the survey portion at the top. Your provider will complete the middle box for Step 1. Then return to your provider 2 weeks later to complete Step 2. Your provider will need to complete both boxes of the VPCC form [ VPCC PPD Form ]
- If you have a positive TST/PPD or IGRA, documentation of a negative chest x-ray after the positive TST is required along with your positive results and the completed survey at the top of the VPCC PPD Form.
Upload all TB documentation to CastleBranch by MONDAY, December 18, 2023.
- 2023-24 Flu Shot: 2023-24 flu shot documentation (using the College's flu form [ VPCC Flu Form ]) is to be completed and signed by your provider. Please complete the survey questions at the top, print/sign, and date. If additional flu forms are returned to you by your provider, please include these with your VPCC flu shot form.
- Please ensure the dose, manufacturer, lot#, expiration date and entire bottom portion of the flu form is completed and signed by your provider.
- If you have a medical exemption for the flu shot, a letter from your doctor will be required. Please complete the RHS Vaccine Exemption Form. [ RHS Vaccine Exemption Form ].
Upload all flu shot documentation to CastleBranch by MONDAY, December 18, 2023.
- COVID-19 Vaccinations: Required by our clinical sites. All students attending clinical rotations will need to complete COVID vaccination series and boosters as necessary in order to attend clinical. This requirement cannot be declined, and only approved medical or religious exemptions will be accepted. A medical exemption form can be obtained through your medical provider. Please visit 12VAC5-110-80. Exemptions from immunization requirements. (virginia.gov) for more information on a religious exemption. If you have a medical exemption for the COVID shots, please complete the RHS Vaccine Exemption Form [ RHS Vaccine Exemption Form ]. A medical exemption will require documentation from your doctor; please contact the Nursing Office at 757-825-2808 for more information and direction for additional forms.
Please submit a PDF of your COVID vaccination card and booster records or your approved exemption forms to CastleBranch by December 18, 2023.
Documentation for ALL physical requirements is due by:
MONDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2023
7. Tuition for spring 2024 nursing classes is due by Friday, December 15, 2023.
Please review the list of program expenses and the list of nursing program credits and curriculum. [ Program Expenses ], [ RN Credits and Curriculum ], and [ PN-RN Bridge Classes Credits and Curriculum ]
There are several nursing scholarships that are available. Please click these links for more scholarship information and direction: Eta Eta Chapter Scholarship and Additional Scholarship Opportunities.
8. Textbooks- The nursing textbook and resources package MUST BE purchased from the VPCC Bookstore as a bundle package using ISBN #_________________________. [SP24 1 st Semester Package Flyer] This package totals approximately $2,775 (or $700 per semester) and includes all e-books and on-line resources. Please contact Financial Aid Office and the Bookstore for additional textbook information. Package flyer will be posted as soon as it becomes available.
After 2 nd semester no other textbooks or resources are required. The prices listed here are subject to change after all the contents of the packages are confirmed with the publisher.
On-Line Ordering Instructions from the Bookstore: [On-Line Ordering Instructions]
Phone: 757-825-2864 in Hampton and 757-258-6547 at HT in Williamsburg
Financial Aid: https://www.vpcc.edu/pay/aid or 855-877-3945
ISBN #__________________ for the 1 st semester book package MUST BE PURCHASED in the Bookstore even if the optional package (ISBN #_______________) is not purchased.
PN-RN students must purchase both 1st and 2nd semester book packages before Spring 2024 classes begin. PN-RN students will use ISBN #________________ and #____________________. Both book packages will total approximately $1,400.
The prices listed here are subject to change. All ISBN’s and flyers will be posted as soon as they become available.
9. Student Nurses' Association Welcome Information [ SNA Flyer ].
10. Concurrentand Traditional BSN Programs at ODU/VCU - The concurrent program allows students enrolled in VPCC's RN program to take on-line courses at ODU toward their BSN at the same time. After VPCC nursing program completion, you are eligible to take NCLEX for licensure, and then a few months and final ODU project later, a BSN from ODU/VCU is earned. This is an aggressive educational track, so it is highly recommended that students do not take on the extra work required by this double major until the 2 nd semester at VPCC; adjust to the nursing course/workload before you begin a concurrent program.
If you prefer a traditional track for your BSN, ODU/VCU (and other 4-year VA institutions) also offer an RN to BSN program that starts after VPCC's program is complete. It is a 2-year post-licensure curriculum. Please review the information:
Please contact Ms. Jacquelyn Nielsen at JBNielse@ODU.edu for more direction and information on ODU's concurrent or traditional BSN program.
- Send SP24 Nursing Forms Packet in a single PDF file to PSAHHS@vpcc.edu by MONDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2023.
- Upload all Physical Requirements Documents (Physical Exam forms in one PDF , and MMR, Varicella, HepB, Tdap, TB, COVID-19 card, and AHA BLS ecard in separate PDF files ) to CastleBranch by MONDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2023.
- Only forms in the SP24 Nursing Forms Packet and the 4 pages of the Physical Exam forms should be combined and sent in single PDF Files. All other forms should be saved to separate PDF files.
See you at Orientation on November 7th!