Transfer Advising

Transfer Advising

Transfer Degrees

Virginia Peninsula has agreements with the four-year colleges and universities in the state of Virginia. Developed jointly by representatives from the Virginia Community College System and the four-year institutions, these agreements allow the community college student to complete the equivalent of the first two years of an undergraduate degree by completing an approved transfer degree at Virginia Peninsula.For more information about the transfer process, please visit

These degrees allow students to complete their first two years at Virginia Peninsula, earn an associate degree, and transfer to a four-year institution to complete a bachelor's degree.

Things to consider when transferring to a four-year college or university

  • What is your chosen career
  • Which colleges/universities offer that degree
  • What degree at Virginia Peninsula matches that degree
  • Is there an articulation agreement with the school of your choice
  • What courses need to be taken at Virginia Peninsula and in what semester

Steps to transfer to a four-year college

  1. Meet with an Academic Advisor during your first semester to discuss transferable degree options.
  2. Review the Transfer Virginia ( or the four-year college admission website to obtain transfer related information to include articulation agreements, guaranteed admission agreements, and co-enrollment agreements with Virginia Peninsula and the VCCS.
  3. Review the transfer guide and college catalog for the institution of your choice. Become familiar with the minimum transfer GPA, minimum credit hour requirements to be considered a transfer student, transferable courses, application deadline dates, and letter of intent.
  4. Attend an Open House/Transfer Day for the four-year institution you are considering.
  5. Inquire about the application deadline dates for the semester you are planning on transferring in advance.
  6. Complete the application and any supporting forms (mid-term reports, instructor evaluations/recommendations, college official's report, etc.) for submission to the four-year institution by appropriate identified deadline date. (Most colleges prefer online applications.) Remember that most colleges require an application fee and official transcripts from previously attended institutions. Request your official Virginia Peninsula transcript from the Admissions, Records and Registration Office in Griffin Hall, room 208. Some institutions require high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores, too.

Articulation within the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) is a dynamic process. The most reliable source of transfer information is the admission office at a four-year college. Students are encouraged to take a proactive role in confirming transfer information. For college-specific transfer information contact a Virginia Peninsula Academic Advisor or admission office of any Virginia community college or four-year university & ask for a transfer guide.

Virginia Community College Transfer Grant

Established in 2007, the Two-Year College Transfer Grant Program (CTG) provides an incentive for students to first complete an associate degree at a Virginia public two-year college before transferring to a participating Virginia four-year college or university as a means to reduce the overall cost towards completing a bachelor’s degree.

For more information, please visit: Two-Year College Transfer Grant | Virginia State Council Of Higher Education, VA (


The following VCCS websites feature statewide transfer agreements

Transfer Student Resources

If you are a current or returning student, please schedule an appointment in Navigate with an academic advisor to discuss the transfer option. If you have questions about programs at Virginia Peninsula, please email