Advising FAQs

Advising FAQs

Schedule your Virtual Advising Appointment through Navigate

Schedule Appointment

For new and returning students, schedule your advising appointment through Navigate.

Am I required to get advising?

Yes. Advising is mandatory and critical to ensuring that you meet your academic goals. Students must meet with an advisor each semester.

How do I change my program of study?

To change your program of study, you must meet with an Academic Advisor for the new program of study. They will discuss any changes in course requirements under the new program of study and have you complete a Program Plan Declaration form. To find the Academic Advisor for your new program of study, you must first know the Academic Division this new program of study falls under. Click here to learn more about Programs of Study. Next, you will need to schedule an appointment to meet with the appropriate Academic Advisor. Click here for information on Academic Advising.

How many credits do I need to be full-time student?

The minimum number of credits required to be a full-time student is 12 credit hours; however, a student may take up to 18 credit hours. A curricular student wishing to carry an academic load of 19 credits or more (excluding the SDV 100 orientation) must have a 3.0 average or higher and the approval of his or her Academic Division Dean.

What is the process to transfer to a four-year college or university from Virginia Peninsula?

Students who intend to transfer should meet with an Academic Advisor to begin transfer planning. It is recommended that students began planning during their initial semester at Virginia Peninsula. The Academic Advisors will assist students with meeting the requirements to transfer to four-year institutions. The college has many transfer agreements with state institutions which can be found by clicking here. Students looking to transfer out-of-state should consult with the out of state institution.

Do the Associate of Applied Science and Associate of Applied Arts degrees transfer?

The Associate of Applied Science and Associate of Applied Arts degree programs are two-year degrees designed primarily to prepare students to enter the workforce. Although these programs are not intended for transfer to a four-year college or university, in some cases the courses do transfer. There are also some articulation agreements with four-year colleges for these programs. Students are encouraged to consult with their Academic Advisor when pursuing one of these degrees.

Are developmental courses transferable?

No. Only college level courses qualify for transfer to four year institutions. Developmental courses are designed to meet specific objectives essential for entry into college level courses.

When I transfer to a four-year institution, will I continue paying the community college rate?

No. Upon transfer, you will be required to pay the four-year institution tuition rate.

What if I want to transfer to a four-year institution that does not have an agreement with Virginia Peninsula?

When transferring to an institution that does not participate in a transfer agreement with Virginia Peninsula, it is best to refer to the transfer guide for that institution. Academic Advisors can assist in selecting courses that will align with the requirements.

Do I have to complete my Associates degree in order to transfer?

No. It is recommended that you complete a minimum of 24-30 credits hours before applying as a transfer student. Should you attempt to transfer prior to completing the recommended number of credits, you may be required to submit high school transcripts and/or SAT/ACT scores. Always refer to the admissions requirements for the institution you plan on transferring to, as transfer criteria may vary.

I plan on transferring to an out-of-state school. Will my credits be accepted?

When pursuing transfer to an out-of-state school, it is best to contact the institution to determine the transferability of courses.

What is a Letter of Intent?

A Letter of Intent is a signed agreement to provide evidence of your interest and intent to transfer to a specific institution. It gives the four-year institution an opportunity to establish a relationship with a prospective student to facilitate a smooth transfer process. It is an application requirement for some four-year institutions that participate in a Guaranteed Admissions Agreement. Refer to the Guaranteed Admission Agreement for the school of your choice to determine whether the Letter of Intent is required.