A resident of Hampton, Dr. James M. Benson served Teledyne-Hastings-Raydist in various ways over the years, including working as Vice President, Director of Research, and acting as a Consultant after his retirement. He was issued more than 15 U.S. and foreign patents and published many articles. Dr. Benson earned his bachelor's degree in chemistry from East Tennessee State College and his master's and Ph.D. in physics and mathematics from the University of Tennessee. Dr. Benson was active in the community, serving in the Peninsula Executives Club, the Peninsula Fine Arts Association, and Hampton Kiwanis Club. The J. Frank Benson Memorial Scholarship was established in memory of Dr. Benson's son, J. Frank Benson, and is awarded to a student who pursues academic excellence and community involvement.
- Virginia resident;
- Graduating senior of one of the public high schools in the VPCC service area, which includes the cities of Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, and Williamsburg, and the counties of James City and York;
- Minimum GPA of 2.5; and
- Enrolled and maintain full-time student status. In addition to standard Application Packet include
- Letter of recommendation written by a teacher; and
- Statement of nomination, usually written by the student's guidance counselor, not to exceed two single-spaced typewritten pages which include:
- A description of the ways in which academic excellence has been demonstrated, and
- A description of extracurricular activities and/or civic work.