Are you interested in continuing your education at a four-year college?
Do you want to teach Pre-K through third grade?
Do you want to work with Birth – age 8 special education?
Then this is the program for you!!
VPCC’s Early Childhood Associate Degree also prepares students planning to transfer to partner four-year institutions teacher preparation programs. It is specifically designed for students who plan to seek endorsement and licensure as teachers in Early Childhood Education (PreK-3rd ) or Special Education.
Several four-year universities are accepting VPCC AAS in Early Childhood Development.
- Attend JMU James Madison University.
- Attend Longwood University
- Attend Radford University (Special Ed) AAS to BS Teacher Licensure
- Attend George Mason AAS to BS Early Childhood Ed
- Attend Virginia Commonwealth University Early Childhood Education and Teaching
- Attend Old Dominion University
The Early Childhood Development AAS degree at Virginia Peninsula Community College is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Early Childhood Higher Education Programs of the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
The current accreditation term runs from June 30, 2021 through March 31, 2028.
Early childhood program outcome data (Published timeframe is 2 years)
For more information
Graduates find employment in a variety of early care settings, including Heat Start, religious-based and military child development centers and for-profit and nonprofit programs. Those who earn an associate of applied science in Early Childhood Development can explore several employment opportunities. Graduates become:
- paraprofessionals in public schools
- preschool teachers
- childcare program directors
- in-home childcare professionals
- before/after school resource program employees
Learn more about a career in this field, how much it typically pays, what the demand is, and how your education can help you become qualified.
For the most up-to-date information about this program, including courses, credits, and other requirements, please refer to our College Catalog.