Military & Veteran Services will be closed Friday, December 2nd for staff to attend a Division wide meeting. We will reopen at 8:00am on Monday, December 5, 2023. Please contact us at 757-825-3442 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your experience counts. At Virginia Peninsula Community College, we believe that military experience, education, and training should translate, whenever possible, into academic credit that can help you achieve your educational goals.
Tuition Assistance Application Windows
Using TA to pay for your classes? Your "window" for requesting benefits varies, according to the service branch. Keep these timelines in mind when requesting tuition assistance.
|Branch||TA Request Period Opens||TA Request Period Ends|
|45 days before class starts||7 days before class starts|
|60 days before class starts||7 day before class starts|
|120 days before class starts||7 days before class starts|
|60 days before class starts||1 day before class starts|
|90 days before class starts||16 days before class starts|
Virginia National Guard
|Spring: September 15th |
Summer: February 15th
Fall: May 15th
|Spring: November 1st |
Summer: April 1st
Fall: July 1st
MyCAA (Military Spouses)
|60 days before class starts||1 day before class starts|
We know that many of you rely on local bases for various services. In response to the current situation, many have announced closures or reduced operating hours for key offices and support functions. Below you'll find links to the websites for key military installations in our area; they provide updates on functions/services impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak:
Obviously, this is a dynamic situation, and the list of closings and service reductions is subject to change. We encourage you to call ahead before making the trip, to ensure the base office/support activity is open and providing the service or support you need.
Acquire an In-Demand Skill Before You Leave the Military
Welding classes at Virginia Peninsula Community College have resumed on a limited basis, and we're accepting transitioning military members for the CSP/Skillbridge Welding Training Program. For more information please call (757) 825-3442 or VA@vpcc.edu
Leaving the military this year? Need to add a new skill before your separation or retirement date? Then our CSP/Skillbridge Welding Program may be your answer. Complete an entry-level welding class in only six weeks, with the opportunity to earn a nationally-recognized credential and screen for employment at Newport News Shipbuilding. Read More
Army Credentialing (CA) Assistance Program
A new chapter in voluntary education for soldiers begins next week, with the arrival of the Army Credentialing Assistance (CA) Program at Fort Eustis. If you're currently a TA-eligible soldier, know someone who is, or have a soldier who's a member of your family, this program is a game-changer, in terms of training and educational opportunities.
What is CA?
- It's an Army effort to help troops obtain an occupational license or certification from organizations that assess and confirm that a credential seeker is competent and qualified to work in that field.
- CA provides funding for voluntary off-duty courses and/or exams leading to an industry-recognized academic or vocational credential listed in the Army Credentialing Opportunities Online (COOL) portal:https://www.cool.army.mil/
- The program offers three credentialing options for soldiers:
- Credential related to a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS), as long as it is not a MOS requirement
- Credential related to an academic degree or certificate
- Credential aligned to a civilian career field
What Do Soldiers Receive?
- They can utilize Tuition Assistance (TA) and Credentialing Assistance (CA); however, the combined total cannot exceed $4000 per fiscal year
- Example: a soldier enrolls in a Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), which leads to a nationally-recognized credential from the American Welding Society; the cost for the program at Virginia Peninsula Community College is $2,715. After completing the welding class, the soldier would still have $1,825 to use for college classes or another vocational course during that year
- CA pays for the classroom, online/blended, and hands-on learning/training, plus associated exams, materials, and all required fees (i.e., manuals, books, supplies, study guides, and re-certification of credentials)
Do You Qualify?
- Must meet basic tuition assistance eligibility
- Begin work on the first Credentialing Occupational Pathway upon achievement of MOS Qualification and completion of Advanced Individual Training (AIT); Warrant Officer Basic Course or Basic Officer Leader Course
- Eligibility for second Credentialing Occupational Pathway upon achievement of MOS qualification, successful completion of Advanced Leaders Course; Warrant Office Advance Course, Captain Career Course or equivalent
- Courses/exams must be completed before the date of separation.
Ready to Get Started?
Before enrolling, you must attend the Credentialing Assistance 101 Briefing. Presentation is held every Wednesday morning at Fort Eustis, starting at 11:30 am (appointments required). To schedule, call (757) 878-2083, Monday-Friday from 0800-1630 local.
Virginia Peninsula Community College offers more than 75 nationally industry-recognized credentials and certifications, in such fields as IT, manufacturing, healthcare, automotive technology, and the skilled trades. Our spring schedule has been posted, with class dates, times, and pricing information. For more information, contact our military team at (757) 825-3442 or Workforce Development, at (757) 825-4070.
Need to add to your skills or train for a new career?
Virginia Peninsula Community College Workforce Development has a wide range of classes that can enhance your existing skill set, or prepare you for a new job. Check out their offerings in healthcare, IT, manufacturing & trades, business and entrepreneurship, and transportation. These courses are affordable and our online registration system is fast and easy. Many of these classes lead to nationally-recognized credentials and may complement the training you gained in the military. Classes for the summer and fall are now forming; see the complete list of offerings here.
We're excited to announce Credits2Careers, Virginia's Community Colleges' academic and career portal for evaluating and awarding credit for military experience.
Locations in Hampton, Newport News, and Williamsburg are located in close proximity to the many bases on the peninsula.
We provide quality academic instruction and resources to our military at Fort Eustis.
Learn on your own time. With quality classes available online, we provide what you need, when you need it.
Serving those who serve
For nearly 50 years, Virginia Peninsula Community College has proudly served military students, their families, and our country's veterans. Learn more about classes and programs available on base, on campus, and online created to serve those who serve.
Save big and complete your Bachelor’s degree through Guaranteed Admission with over 30 Virginia colleges and universities.
Expedite your transition into the civilian workforce through fast certificate programs or two-year Associate degree programs.