NURSING PROGRAM STEPS TO APPLICATION
Pre-Requisite Requirements updated, and a new Application Process is being developed. Please monitor this webpage regularly for updates to the Steps to Application through:
A $60 application fee will be assessed.
FALL APPLICATION PERIOD FOR A.A.S. RN SPRING APPLICATION PERIOD FOR A.A.S. RN
September 1 through September 30 EVERY YEAR February 1 through March 31 EVERY YEAR
For DAY and EVENING/WEEKEND Classes at the For DAY and EVENING/WEEKEND Classes
At the Historic Triangle Campus At the Hampton Campus in August
In Williamsburg in January
PN TO RN BRIDGE CLASSES
February 1 through February 28 EVERY YEAR
for DAY ONLY classes at the Hampton Campus that begin in May
1. Ensure you are a Virginia Peninsula Community College student with a valid student ID number. Apply on-line at https://www.apply.vccs.edu/applications/vccs/apply.html?application_id=4096 to submit a college application. Placement tests may be required.
2. Pre-requisite Course Requirements):
- BIO141 – Anatomy & Physiology I
- ENG111 – English Composition I (Becoming ENG112 English Composition II, effective date to be announced)
- HLT230 – Nutrition (Becoming MTH154 (Algebra I, effective date to be announced)
- PSY230 – Developmental Psychology
- SDV100 – Student Success Skills (May change to SDV101)
- BIO142 – Anatomy & Physiology II (for PN-RN bridge applicants ONLY)
For the fall 2022 application period, the original 5 pre-reqs will be accepted (BIO141, ENG111, HLT230, PSY230 and SDV100).
There will be grace period in which all 7 pre-reqs (BIO141, ENG111 or ENG112, HLT230 or MTH154, PSY230, and SDV100) will be accepted in future application cycles to allow for the transition to the new requirements. There will be a firm date when ENG111 and HLT230 will no longer be accepted. New pre-req information and timeline/effective dates will be updated here as information becomes available.
NOTE: Please remember that ENG111 is a pre-req for ENG112, so you will need to take both ENG classes; but only ENG112 is required for nursing application and will be used in the GPA calculation.
Any science or math pre-req or gen-ed class (BIO141, BIO142, BIO150 and MTH154) will expire after 5 years of completion and will need to be retaken.
FOR FALL 2022 application, all pre-reqs must be completed with a grade of B or higher. There will be a grace period to allow for this change in grade standard, and a firm date for acceptance of the B grade only will begin in the Spring 2022 application period. It is NOT recommended to repeat any course that was completed with a B or C grade to improve chances of selection. Instead, please study and prepare for the HESI A2 admissions exam so you perform above the benchmark for application.
A minimum curricular GPA for these pre-req classes must be at least 3.0 to be eligible for application. Any course that posts a P grade will not be included in this curricular GPA calculation. With program approval, the cumulative GPA may be used for application if a curricular GPA of the 4 pre-req courses cannot be calculated. SDV100 is not included in the curricular GPA. For fall 2022 application, only grades for BIO141, ENG111, PSY230, and HLT230 will be used to calculate your curricular GPA for nursing application.
3. Submit official college transcripts of previous degree or courses taken to www.NursingCAS.org if seeking award of transfer credit for nursing pre-requisite courses (ENG111, BIO141, PSY230, HLT230, and SDV100). Official transcripts should be sent directly to NursingCAS by your previous college or university using Parchment, Credential Solutions, or National Student Clearinghouse (check with your school to determine the best service to use with NursingCAS). Please follow the instructions in the portal and enter your course and grade information as well as submitting your official transcripts. Please refer to the Sending Official Transcripts to NursingCAS page for more information. Please visit the Applicant Help Center for additional information and assistance. Additionally, review transcript requirements page for extra guidance.
- NursingCAS Transcript ID form - should be attached to your official transcripts. If you cannot use this form, make sure the registrar prints "NursingCAS" and your full NursingCAS ID number on the transcript before mailing it.
- Any school-specific forms required by the Registrar.
- Any transcript fees required by the Registrar.
- Your Nursing CAS ID Number.
In rare cases, official transcripts can be sent via email from the Registrar directly. Your Registrar can contact the Customer Service team for more information.
Transcripts are NOT accepted sent via email from applicants.
Upon acceptance to the program, official college transcripts will also need to be sent to the College for evaluation and award of transfer credit.
4. Submit official high school transcript to www.NursingCAS.org. Confirmation of Algebra and Chemistry will be evaluated by NursingCAS, so please request early from your high school. Official high school transcripts should be sent directly to NursingCAS by your high school.
- A grade of C for one year of high school Chemistry is required by the Board of Nursing. If this course was not completed in high school, it MUST be completed at the college level in CHM101 and completed prior to application.
- A grade of C for one year of high school Algebra is required by the Board of Nursing. If this course was not completed in high school, it MUST be completed at the college level in MTH154 and completed prior to application.
- If you attended high school in a foreign country and cannot obtain your transcript, your diploma will be accepted to show completion of secondary education. Please ensure translation if necessary.
- GED Transcripts are also accepted in lieu of a high school diploma.
5. Contact an Advisor at https://tncc.edu/advising/resources to set up an appointment to ensure all pre-req requirements are complete and that you are eligible to apply.
6. Attend a virtual information session. Please review Fall 2022 Nursing Information presentation slides [Fall 22 Nursing Information]. Attendance at an information session is no longer required, but strongly recommended. A live review of the new Fall 2022 application requirements and process, a brief overview of the nursing program, and a Q&A session with program head will be held on:
- Tuesday, September 13, 2022 from 1:00 - 3:00 pm – This is the LAST information session of the fall application period. Please use Zoom link https://vccs.zoom.us/j/87689499755 to join this session.
- Monday, October 17, 2022 from 1:00 – 3:00 pm – Please use Zoom link https://vccs.zoom.us/j/89323403718 to join this session.
- Monday, November 14, 2022 from 1:00 – 3:00 pm - This is the LAST information session of the fall 2022 term. Please use Zoom link https://vccs.zoom.us/j/87341327059 to join this session.
Information Sessions for the spring 2023 term will begin in January and a new schedule will be posted in December.
7. Request one reference from a Biology or Health faculty member (full-time or adjunct) from any higher education institution (preferred). A professional reference may be submitted as an alternate if a BIO or HLT instructor reference cannot be obtained. Please email your reference provider (using the instructor's @vpcc.edu address) to ask they complete the reference section of your NursingCAS application when they receive an emailed link from NursingCAS. A separate reference form is no longer required.
8. A resume for your work experience may also be included in your NursingCAS application. Please complete the EXPERIENCE portion of the NursingCAS application to include your work history, any medical or allied health experience you may have, as well as any military service. There is no need to upload a copy of your resume to NursingCAS.
PLEASE APPLY EARLY SO YOU HAVE TIME
TO STUDY AND PREPARE
FOR THE HESI A2 ADMISSIONS EXAM
9. HESI A2 Admissions Testing – Please email email@example.com to schedule your test and include your Student ID# and phone number. You will receive an email reply to confirm your test date and time with instructions for creating an account, registering and exam payment. Please review HESI A2 information at: [HESI A2 Admissions Assessment]. Your HESI score/report must be entered/uploaded to NursingCAS before your application can be submitted.
The exam costs $58, ($54 exam fee + $4 eCommerce payment processing fee) payable directly to Evolve using eCommerce. Once your student account is created, please follow these payment instructions: [HESI A2 eCommerce Payment Instructions] and [Students - How to Pay for an Exam]. The test ID number needed for payment will be provided in the email you receive for confirmation of your HESI A2 test date. Your payment confirmation/receipt will be required on test day, so be sure to bring it with you to campus.
Fall 2022 HESI A2 Testing Schedule
RN Degree Program (Day & Evening programs)
- Friday, September 23 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm in Hampton III Building, Room 734 A/B
- Friday, September 30 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm in Hampton III Building, Room 734 A/B
PN-RN Bridge (Summer 2023 Day Only)
- Not available at this time.
HESI A2 is a 4-hour general knowledge exam that tests reading comprehension, grammar, math, and science (including biology, anatomy & physiology, chemistry -- physics is not part of this exam). The test will begin at 10 am; late arrivals will not be admitted.
To log into the exam on test day, please review these instructions. [HESI A2 How to Log into Exam].
If you have previously taken the HESI A2 exam elsewhere, unfortunately, those results are not accepted by the nursing program. This exam must be taken through Virginia Peninsula Community College.
Scores are valid for two application cycles and can be re-used. The most recent score is counted, not the highest score. If you tested in Fall 2021, you would need to test again. If you have TEAS scores from a previous application cycle, you will need to test again as the admissions testing requirement has changed to HESI A2.
Please purchase the HESI Admission Assessment Exam Review (5th Edition) that includes content review and sample test questions at https://evolve.elsevier.com/cs/product/9780323582261?role=student. Please visit local libraries, etc. for other remediation materials. More information for practice tests and remediation materials will be added here as new information becomes available.
Please prepare for this high-stakes exam early by taking a practice test to assess the areas in which you are weakest and then focus your studying in those areas. Set a timer to practice taking a timed test.
Please monitor this webpage for new HESI A2 test information and requirements.
10. Complete the on-line application for the program you wish to apply (RN Degree Program or PN-RN Bridge classes) at www.NursingCAS.org BEFORE 11:59pm on September 30. An application fee of $60 is required upon application submission.
For the RN degree program, applications will be ranked for Day and Evening/Weekend selection based on the cohort you select:
- If you also select DAYS and EITHER, your application will be considered for both days and evening/weekends. This implies you prefer DAYS but allows your application to be considered for the Evening/Weekend program if you are not selected for DAYS.
- The same holds true if you select EVENING/WEEKEND and EITHER.
- If you select EITHER only, this means you have no preference and can be placed in either DAY or EVENING/WEEKEND cohorts depending on your ranking.
The PN-RN Bridge application (February application only) is for a 2-course, day-only summer session that is not Financial Aid eligible and will be paid out of pocket. Upon completion of these 2 classes, applicants are eligible to join RN degree students in the 3rd semester and will receive advanced standing credit for 1st and 2nd semester courses. Submit PN transcript and PN license copy with your application.
Please be prepared to:
- Request/submit official college transcripts for evaluation of award of transfer credit for nursing pre-req classes (BIO141, ENG111, HLT230, PSY230 and SDV100).
- Request/submit official high school transcripts.
- PN-RN Bridge applicants must also submit official transcripts for PN Education and a copy of their PN license.
- Complete the Experience section of the application for your employment, medical experience, or military service.
- Notify your reference provider that NursingCAS will email them with a link to provide your reference. The old reference form is no longer required.
- Schedule your HESI A2 exam.
PLEASE MONITOR THIS WEBSITE REGULARLY FOR UPDATES AND NEW INFORMATION ON ALL THE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS.
THANK YOU FOR APPLYING TO VIRGINIA PENINSULA COMMUNITY COLLEGE’S
ACCEPTANCE/DECISION LETTERS WILL BE SENT ELECTRONICALLY TO STUDENT EMAIL ACCOUNTS BY THE MIDDLE OF OCTOBER FOR THE RN DEGREE PROGRAM.
ALL APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE WRITTEN NOTIFICATION.
Resources & Application Information:
- Steps to Application (Downloadable copy)
- Nursing Information Session Presentation – Under Review; To be Updated Soon
- PN Bridge to RN Admissions Requirements Brochure
- RN Admissions Requirements Brochure
- Nursing Application Process at a Glance
- Nursing Application Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
- RN Program Credits and Curriculum
- PN-RN Bridge Classes to A.A.S. RN Degree Program Credits & Curriculum
- Estimated Program Expenses
- Student Handbook/Policies